Monday, January 23, 2012

Baking soda is my best friend

This wouldn't be a homemaker's blog if I didn't mention baking soda. Baking soda packs some awesome powers. It cooks, it cleans, it does the dishes and the laundry, removes odors and stains (true story. I had a month old stain in my carpet that I totally put off cleaning up. Yikes! I should have taken pictures.) It's like having a maid in a box, and I don't even have to pay them! Wait, purchasing it counts towards paying "them"...whoever them is (are? Oh grammar...). Sodium bicarbo-ception.  >_>

Here's a small list of what baking soda can do and is used for:

  •  Baking - I cook a lot. Many baking recipes I have used call for baking soda.
  • Deodorize your refrigerator - Works like a charm. There's always something gross lurking in my 'fridge that I just don't feel like pulling out of the back corner just yet. Never said I was a perfect housewife. ;-)
  • Dishwasher - I add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to my dishwasher, along with only 1/2 of the dish washing soap recommended. Cleans my dishes much better. My dish washer is ancient. (Not even going to get started on my ghetto dishwasher)
  • No "poo" method - Washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar. It's all the rage on natural/organic forums. I use to do it, and it does works well. I think I will do it again and post results. Works best for the naturally curly haired gentleman and ladies out there.
  • Laundry soap - Creating your own laundry soap! I haven't adventured into this yet, but I've read mostly good results about making your own laundry soap. Of course, it involves baking soda. I will research more into it.
    • You can also just add a 1/2 cup to your washer before loading the clothes. Out comes sparkly fresh, and bright, clothing! :) I just spent the last half hour away from this post, separating the mountain of clothing I have to wash today. I'm going to test this out on my whites as they aren't too white anymore.
  • Sprinkle baking soda on your carpet - Let it sit overnight. Vacuum in the morning. Works great with a house filled with crazy animals. (aka: husbands, children, cats, birds, dogs,)
  • Spray cleaners- Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup baking soda into 1/2 gallon or 2 quarts of water. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice if you'd like a scent. Store in a spray bottle. Works like a charm.
  • As I've read into other uses, apparently baking soda also can slow down the process of kidney disease, helps heartburn and acid indigestion. Cool. My husband suffers from heartburn and indigestion. More research to do! I love being my own teacher. :D
This is just a small number of things that baking soda can do. As I progress through the list later on, I'll take pictures, perform little experiments to show the awesomeness that is sodium bicarbonate!

Salek

I'm going to post a song for you to enjoy after every post you read. A word of warning: I listen to everything!!! God bless y'all!



Next on the plate: Starter for Amish Friendship bread. I don't have friends out in Pittsburgh just yet, but I'll make this any way and show you how to as well so you can share it with your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment