Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vermicompost update

It's a two post kind of day. Next post is on my Friendship bread.

My compost worms came in today! They are from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. These little dudes whom I have now dubbed Earth Worm Jim(s), came in a little burlap sack of peat moss. Since they've been traveling without food or water for the past week I immediately had to get their home ready to go, and I had to give them water asap!

 First thing I did was shred up some paper to put in their bin. It is their bedding. I than added a cup of water to get the bedding moist. I think I did one and half cups of water.
 Next, I added the compost that was hanging out underneath my sink for the past week. After that, my little dudes went on top of the compost and I put one sheet of wet newspaper over top of that to get the worms moist. After that, I snapped the lid on. Make sure there are air holes in your lid so the worms don't suffocate! Also, keep up on the balance of your compost, if it's too dry, add moisture into it by getting some newspaper wet and layering it with your food waste. Do NOT add any meat. This is a fruit and vegetable composting bin!
This is the sack the worms came in. Adorable, isn't it? I'm going to find something to do with it!

Can't wait for my fertilizer. :) Questions are welcome. Answers will be given!

Salek



No comments:

Post a Comment